Skip to main content

The 2010 Grammy Awards: 3 1/2 Hours that I can't get back

I know, it's supposed to be "music's biggest night". I disagree.

Here's my recap, I won't go into detail:

Lady Gaga: The whole performance was strange, and if her outfit had been even a little bit smaller, we would've had a clear view of her crotch. I could've done without that.

Green Day: I didn't really have a problem with this one. I thought it was pretty well put together. I'm just not a big fan of Green Day.

Beyonce: I'm not saying the girl can't sing, but I would've been far more impressed if she had done it without getting down on her knees and dancing like a stripper.

Pink: This one was disgusting. Yet again, I'm impressed by women who can sing, and put on a good show without looking slutty.

Black-Eyed Peas: Who decided that they could waste my time with two songs. One was more than enough.

Lady Antebellum: I like Lady Antebellum. Hillary Scott is not a great live singer, but there performance was very simple, and that was kind of refreshing.

Jamie Foxx: Honestly, I wasn't paying attention to this one, so.... no opinion.

Zac Brown Band: They weren't bad... don't really know where they came from. I think their songs (at least the ones that I've heard on the radio) are kind of sucky.

Taylor Swift: She can't sing, she can't write a song, that's all I have to say.

The Michael Jackson Tribute: It wasn't bad. Not sure why Carrie Underwood was in it. The 3-D thing was kind of wierd, but anyway, I was never a Michael Jackson fan.

Bon Jovi: Loved it (except for the fact that they only did portions of the songs). I loved the fact that Jennifer Nettles sang with them, and I knew that Livin' On A Prayer would get the most votes. I love that song. I can't believe this was the first time that Bon Jovi had performed on the Grammy Awards.

Mary J. Blige: She seemed to kind of have a hard time keeping up with that opera guy, Andrea Bocelli. It wasn't bad, but not my kind of music.

Dave Matthews Band: I'm also not a big fan of these guys. I'm not saying they weren't good, I just wasn't paying attention.

Maxwell: Never heard of this guy. Again, wasn't paying attention. That's probably because this is usually about the point in the show where I feel like changing the channel, but I don't because I've already wasted 2 hours, so it's a little too late.

The Les Paul tribute: I actually enjoyed this.

Eminem & some other guys: Channel 13 seemed to be screwing up at this point, the sound was going on & off. I wasn't too bothered by that.


In general, my opinion on "music's biggest night" is that it's an excuse to see how much arrogance & skimpy clothing can fit into 3 1/2 hours of television. I was going to say more about it, but I don't really feel like it right now. So... that's it.


-Nakita

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Where have all the cashiers gone?

In my last post, when I said "That's a blog for another time", this is that one. Another time has arrived. Over the the past couple of years, I've been hearing the same commentary on the labor market from everybody & their brother. I've even said it myself a few times. "Nobody wants to work". That's an inaccurate statement. It's no secret that the service industry is suffering the most. Yeah, we've heard about fields like plumbing, where not enough people are pursuing careers to replace the professionals that are retiring. I think we could all agree, though, that you are most aware of the "labor shortage" when you are waiting in line. Whether that's at the grocery store, the coffee shop, the bank, or the fast food drive-thru. Nobody wants to work... for customers. It is true, that in March of 2020, a lot of people took time off from work because they were afraid, and some of those people found ways to stay home for a while c

Suddenly Essential

I haven't written for a very long time... years, actually, but I want to do it more, so here we go.   I don't want to talk about the policies surrounding the virus, there's plenty of people doing that. I just want to share a bit about what it has been like to work at a grocery store during this time. In 2010, when I was 20 years old, I was hired as a cashier at Hannaford. During my first winter working there, I drove to work in a few snowstorms. One was nasty enough that business was pretty slow when I got there. I had been there maybe an hour or so, when a manager asked me if I would like to go home. Obviously, I said "no", after going through the trouble of getting to work in the storm, it seemed foolish to only work for an hour. I was given the task of doing some deep cleaning, since there was nothing else for me to do on such a slow day. I asked "Why doesn't the store just close on days like this? It's so slow that people are looking for things to

Created for community

Well, yesterday was National Best Friends Day, and I started writing this yesterday, so it's appropriate that this blog is kind of about friendship. Community is something that we were designed for. Growing up in church, it almost seemed sinful to utter words like "I feel alone". If you dare to say that in the company of other believers, you'll likely get a response like "You're not alone, you have Jesus". As if we're not supposed to desire human companionship. It's time to stop using this line. We need to stop telling people who probably are alone, that they're not. Yes, it's true. Christ satisfies us more than any sinful, imperfect human ever can. He is the only one who will never, ever let you down.... ...but that's not all that we need. How do I know this? Genesis 2:18 At this point, sin had not yet entered the world. There was no chasm between God and man. Adam had absolutely perfect communion with God, and yet God stil